Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Florence & Cinque Terre


I am closing in on the home stretch of my travels, with just a bit more than two weeks left before I return to Canada. And I am nearing the end of my time in Italy, as I decided to slip back into France for a week in the Alps, before meeting up with an old friend in Germany. It makes me a bit sad to think of leaving Italy, since I managed to actually pick up some basic comprehension and basic vocabulary in just a few weeks, and because there are so many beautiful places I have not yet visited. But my last few days have been fantastic, so I feel that I will end this part of my trip on a high note.

I spent a few days in Florence, which has such a world-renown reputation that I thought it might be hard for the city to live up to its fame. However, I was blessed with two mild sunny days there, so exploring the streets was lovely. The warm colours of the city seemed to glow in a special light. A cynical side of me acknowledges that the warm glow might be due to smog hanging over the city. Or perhaps not. In any case, there just seems to be this lovely quality to the light. Climbing the 463 stairs to the dome at Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore, better known as the Duomo, was 100% worth it for the panoramic view over the city.



 
 
For the last couple of days, I have been exploring the villages of Cinque Terre along the northwestern coast of Italy. I have been interested in coming here for several years now, and I am so glad that I finally made it here! I would recommend it to anyone you likes to be outside -- and it's very nice in the "off" season now, as there aren't too many other tourists crowding up the villages (hypocritical, I know, to complaint about tourists!)  I have had a couple of great days of hiking in the area, even though most of the main coastal trail has not been accessible. I will let the pictures do the talking, although the photographs do not quite do justice to the beautiful scenery here, with a series of villages perched between the Mediterranean Sea and the steep rocky coastline.
The view along the trail I hiked on today.

In Manarola, the village where I have been staying.




The marina in Vernazza
 

No comments:

Post a Comment