Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Alpine views

I'm spending a week in the village of Landry, France -- near to Bourg St-Maurice, not far from the border from Italy.

It's off-season here, with ski season set to get underway mid-December. So I won't be experiencing skiing in the Alps -- I don't think my "ski legs" are quite in shape to appreciate the slopes anyway.

Still, there are beautiful views I've been appreciating on walks around the area. The most amazing thing is the clear, slightly turquoise colour of the streams -- flowing down from glaciers, I imagine.
And in nearby Bourg St-Maurice, there is an international canoe & kayak training centre, with markers set up hanging over the rapids.

If you look closely you can see vertical lines in the river -- they are poles suspended from wires over the river, for canoe & kayak training




Bourg St-Maurice -- a larger tourist centre in the area, complete with a farmers' market on the day I visited -- see the delicious cheese stand below!




No comments:

Post a Comment